Thursday, November 1, 2007

Choke on a Cock

I really do want to get into this blog thing, but honestly, when I come home from class and exams and homework, do I really want to sit down an write something? Usually Food Network or very shallow reality shows win this battle. But I have had some very interesting things happen lately.

There has been this new guy in my life. No, I am not saying that I am replacing the boy...not even close. This guy is in one of my classes and just happens to be in my discussion. One day, I come home from discussion to find an email from someone I don't know that says, "I am that guy in Asian Myth that asks all those questions. Want to be friends." Personally, I am not a fan of this approach because after like 8 weeks of class, he had never once even said hello, and now he just looks like a facebook creeper.

At first I was a little afraid that it was this obnoxious Russian, who I can't stand, but upon further investigation I discovered that it was this Asian that always sits with a pack of other Asians. Usually, I would just ignore the request or say no, but I was intrigued due to the fact that on that very evening in class I had actually thought to myself, "That guy reminds me of someone I would have been friends with in high school."

The hands of fate? Maybe so.

So, I wrote back to him, but I asked how he found me. I am not easy to find on facebook, and I like it that way, and I just couldn't figure out how he knew my name. So he writes back the next day (after being able to view my page and see that I have a boyfriend) and I quote, "Well, to be honest, I knew your name was Allison from class, and there are 170 Allison's on Facebook, so it was worth a shot. Plus, I like your smile."

At this point, I was not sure whether to be flattered or think he was a stalker. Eventually, I decided to give him a chance because it really seemed to me that he was just very very shy.

I accepted his friendship on the condition that the stalker stuff stopped there and that next time he wanted to talk to a girl, he just said "hello."

The fateful next Friday (when we have discussion and only a day after the prior events) I walked in late, and luckily the only desk open was across the room and behind a rather large coed, which meant I could easily hide from him while appearing that I was just paying attention in class. After an agonizing hour, the bell rang and I watched him walk out of the room. Whew! Home Free!!!!

Guess again, so he waited for me and grabbed my sleeve on the way out. I am pretty sure I looked like a tomato, and he muttered something about it being awkward, and then I started to walk away stumbling over something along the lines of, "I don't know what to tell you." He followed me for a bit, and I am sure mumbled something else, and my last words went something like," Eagdha."

Honestly the most awkward encounter of my life.

I apologize for the long posting, but if I had posted this as it was occurring (like a good blogger would have) this would have been two or three posts, so bear with me.

As soon as I got home, I felt horrible about the whole thing, and Becky, being the good friend she is thought it was the funniest story she had heard in awhile, which made me even more embarassed. I shot him an email apologizing for what happened, and he responded with, "never mind, forget it, I'm crazy," ultimately making me feel even worse.

From that point, I decided to give him a chance. Things didn't have to be awkward, and we still had around 6 weeks of class left. So last Friday, I sat by him in the class and tried to be friendly. I smiled, worked with him on our homework, and tried to make small talk. I have never been shot down so much in my life. Every single thing I tried to talk to him about somehow fell flat on the floor. "So, I saw that you know so-and-so." "No, I really don't."
"So, I see that you like this nerdy t.v. show I like." "Nope, not really." "Oh you like tea?" "Eh, not very much, but I do like this canned tea that you should try."

The whole hour went about like this, and then after he decided to walk with me because his class was in the same direction. Again, roadkill conversation. At one point he said, "You sure laughed a lot in class today." What am I even supposed to say to that? I thought, "maybe he would like to hear my side of this whole awkward story." So, I told him about thinking he and I could have been friends in high school, but before I even finished he said, "Nope, I don't think so."

Wait? You are now telling me, a person you really don't even know, that we couldn't have been friends in high school? WTF?

By the time the day was over, he had posted "lol" on my wall.

Of course after discussing this with the boy, he tells me this guy sounds like an asshole. Jealous much?

But after that, I felt like he was just making fun of me. So, I told him that and he writes back that he thinks it is all very funny. Yeah, see if I put any more effort into becoming your friend.

Next lecture, he finds me, and gives me some of aforementioned canned tea. I thanked him, but didn't drink it. I really didn't want to talk with him. The next day, when I actually decided to consume the canned tea, Becky again makes fun. And, the tea tasted like grass. Far closer to the way green tea really tastes, but still...grass is no good. As I sat there and sipped my grass juice all hour, every drop just made me more and more angry at this kid.

Now I am fairly sure that this is not going to be a lasting friendship.

At least the boy is happy about that.

No comments: