Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Scientist

Originally posted 5/29/07 in other blog

Alright, it has been a whole week since I posted, and it seems this blog is some sort of drug for you all.

Currently fueled by apple granola (BTW I'm in love) because there is a party that I cannot attend suffocating our kitchen, I will write instead of consuming a normal meal.

The past week was interesting, but I desperately need to learn Dutch. You would think it rude if there are three people in the room who all know English, yet two refuse to speak it to eachother, no? That has been quite a brick wall between me and getting to know people.

My research team is interesting. My favorite person is the black sheep, but she is one of the only ones to treat me like I am not a wide eyed three year old, although sometimes true. She is a Colombian named Lena, and she is helping me with culture shock a bit. She doesn't enjoy her position, and she doesn't fit in with most of the team, so she told me she likes my company when shes is staining slides and such. I observed the whole process of slide staining using Vectastain. She even let me measure various liquids into little vials. I am glad she liked me though because for all I knew I was making TNT. I also learned how to cut for slides. That is fun, but frustrating. I had seen it done when I volunteered in the hospital, but they never let me touch the machine.

Oh, I hate my microbiology professors now. Apparently I was taught a very inaccurate sloppy method of micropipetting. Quite embarassing, especially when threatening someone's life's work that is not my own.

I also toured a facility that measures energy consumption by putting you in a crazy hood that takes the oxygen out of the air. Seems like it would be fun to play with......*tries to ignore sadistic thoughts*


I got to mix buffer for a radioimmune assay that I was suppose to observe this week, but that never happened. I did see girls photograph their cells though, but since they chose to only speak Dutch to eachother, I am really not sure how.


This week I am visiting the dairy farms and hopefully will be observing an experiment where they take out rats' intestines and invert them to track the breakdown of sugars. Bit nervous about that one.

I have nothing more about work, so I will leave you with a picture of mummified pig fetuses.

No comments: