Saturday, January 26, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

When it comes to New Year's resolutions, tenacity is obviously not my thing. Despite this, I'm still pretty proud of myself for only going 11 days without a post. Yippie...*quiet self celebration at work as to not turn heads.*

Anyway, I got to thinking about New Year's resolutions. People make them and then famously break them. I mean, it is wonderful that everyone sits down and thinks of a way to improve their lives, be it for health, religion, charity or some other insert way to wellness here. Unfortunately, the exact nature of the New Year's resolution is the running joke that no one ever keeps them. Really, these proclamations of change are just beaten down by the expectation that you won't keep it up. It is like having the easiest excuse for not being all that you know you can be.

I want to meet one person, just one who stuck to their resolution. It isn't because we are bad people. I think we really want to change. I think we are incredible creatures of habit that chose laziness and routine over being proactive about anything. So, I am making a resolution to never make another New Year's resolution. When I see something in myself I know could be better, it is time to just change it, without occasion or excuse.

Complain to me next year when I make a new one.

No comments: