Tuesday, March 17, 2009

First Time in a Long Time

So ladies and jellybeans, it has been over a year since I blogged on this site. I am very sorry for such a long hiatus, and I could give any number of excuses (school work, social life, new episodes of Ugly Betty), but in reality I am just lazy sometimes. I really hope to pick this up again, as hard as that might be for me. See New Year's resolution 2008. I enjoy writing this pseudo-diary for all-y'all, and I see that I had one precious subscriber right when I faded out last time.

I will ask the almighty internet gods for forgiveness in my time of weakness and maybe one day another subscriber will eek through that door and see what I have to say. But until then, I will write into cyberspace with no direction or expectation.

Now that I have made this vow of bloggertude, on to the good stuff.

I am ending my career as an undergraduate in just a few short weeks, and for some reason everyone thinks I need a job of some kind for some reason. Clinging to the last thread of hope to never grow up yet still keep food on my plate, I decided to apply to graduate school. The whole process has been unfortunately stressful, but I think the hard part is over now.

This past weekend, I took a very speedy trip out to New Jersey to visit Rutgers. I was impressed that they had a joint program with the medical school, and the proximity to New York City and Philly seemed perfect. Not so. I new this was not going to go well for me when the first words out of one student's mouth were, "I can't imagine living anywhere else but New Jersey. Everywhere else people are just too nice." I should have walked out then. The rest of the trip was about that great, being told that they were required to show people smiling in our photo presentation, that you had to drive everywhere because you had to use at least three of four campuses, and that the students were required to take nearly as many credits as the undergrads. No one seemed all that happy to be there.

Unhappy maybe, but unintelligent no. Today, I get a card in the mail from them and it in no way indicated whether or not I got in to their school. It was just a picture of some of the faculty on the front and inside it said, "We hope you are as excited about the Molecular Biosciences Graduate Programs!" As excited as what, may I ask?

And they WANT me to want to be there? Sorry NYC but you just aren't worth it.

No comments: